Wednesday, February 16, 2005

My bike

After Taeko's little story about her Mama Chari I thought I'd write something about my wheels.

My old bike I bought over twelve years ago - an Emmelle Cortina, with one careful previous owner, for 200 quid. I used it pretty much every day, on and off road, up hill and down dale, across rivers and streams, through forest and snow. I fell off a few times, once smashing my elbow up such that I've still got screws holding it together, seven years later. I hit one car - or rather it hit me - and the driver bought me a nice new rear wheel.

But it was showing its age. I think it needed a few new components, and I saw a nice shiny Dawes Edge Team in the local shop. Hydraulic disk brakes, front air suspension. 650 quid. Mmm. So it became mine.

Do the maths. Old bike, 200 quid, good for 12 years. New bike, 650 quid, good for 39 years. I'll be over seventy. I dont think I'll ever need to buy a new bike again!

Sometime I'll post the story of the great off-road ride I had back in December. And of course I'll take some pics of my bike too.

No comments: