Monday, August 07, 2006

Fixing a dripping tap

Fixing a dripping tap. Its not a big problem.

Of course its not a big problem, its only a paragraph in my DIY book. Turn off mains, unscrew cover, remove headgear nut, remove washer, replace washer, reassemble, turn on mains. There, in one line. How can that be a big problem?

Well, perhaps the cover is corroded on. Never mind, I've got the foresight to borrow some PlusGas from a friend - stronger than WD40, this breaks anything. Eventually. After four sprayings and some leverage with a molegrips its loose and I can lift it up. Now, remove headgear nut. Yeah, but that needs a thin spanner, and the only thin spanners I've got are too small. Never mind, I can take the cross-shaped handle off and remove the cover completely. If I can get the grub screw out. Several sprayings of PlusGas and some GT85 for variety its out. Phew. But the handle doesnt budge. I fill the room with PlusGas vapours and decide ten minutes ago would have been a good time to open the window.

Okay, handle is off, cover is off, and I am presented with a corroded misshapen lump of metal like something recently retrieved from the wreck of the Titanic. I chip off some corrosion to reveal the headgear nut. A small amount of PlusGas and the application of a 3/8 spanner and its off, revealing the crumbly remains of what used to be a washer. Part of it falls off, part of it is attached to the spindle by a small nut.

I soak the nut and spindle in a small pool of PlusGas, then attack it with a spanner and mole grips. It gives way eventually. Now I have the parts of the washer I need.

So down to B+Q where of course they have nothing that looks like the pieces I've extracted. Nor do they have anyone who can tell me if any of the other rubber and vaguely circular pieces with or without holes will act as replacement. I buy three packs of misc washers and valve seats and head home.

The valve seat on the tap looks okay, so I just decide to stick a new washer on the jumper plate. The threads on the small nut are in no fit state, so some persuasion (aka mole grips) is necessary. I put the tap all back together. Down the cellar. Mains on. Run upstairs. Its. Not. Dripping. Hoo. Ray.

No comments: